Geoffrey Onyeama, the current Minister of Foreign Affairs in Nigeria, has left an indelible mark on the country’s political landscape since his appointment in 2015 by President Muhammadu Buhari. Born on February 2, 1956, into the esteemed family of Nigerian jurist Charles Onyeama and Susan Ogugu, Onyeama’s journey has been one of academic excellence, legal prowess, and diplomatic service.
Geoffrey Onyeama’s Education:
Onyeama’s academic journey is impressive. He earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science from Columbia University, New York, in 1977, followed by a Bachelor of Arts degree in Law from St John’s College, Cambridge, in 1980. His pursuit of knowledge continued with a Masters of Law from the London School of Economics and Political Science in 1982 and a Masters of Arts in Law from St John’s College, Cambridge, in 1984. Onyeama was admitted as a Barrister-at-Law of the Supreme Court of Nigeria in 1983 and called to the English Bar of Grey’s Inn in 1981.
Geoffrey Onyeama’s Personal Life:
In his personal life, Geoffrey Onyeama is a devoted family man. He is married and has three children. His first marriage was to Nuzo Onoh, daughter of Christian Onoh, in 1979, and they had a daughter named Candice Onyeama, who has made a name for herself as a screenwriter and filmmaker. His current wife is Sulola. Despite facing a health challenge in July 2020 when he tested positive for COVID-19, Onyeama has fully recovered.
Geoffrey Onyeama’s Career:
Onyeama’s professional journey commenced as a Research Officer in the Nigerian Law Reform Commission in Lagos from 1983 to 1984. He then practiced law with Mogboh and Associates in Enugu, Nigeria, from 1984 to 1985. In 1985, he joined the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) as an Assistant Programme Officer for Development Cooperation and External Relations, Bureau for Africa and Western Asia. Over the years, he climbed the ranks at WIPO, culminating in his appointment as Deputy Director General for the Development Sector in 2009. In November 2015, President Muhammadu Buhari appointed him as Nigeria’s Minister of Foreign Affairs.
Geoffrey Onyeama’s Social Media Handles:
Stay connected with Geoffrey Onyeama through his social media handles:
- When was Geoffrey Onyeama born?
- Geoffrey Onyeama was born on February 2, 1956.
- How many children does Geoffrey Onyeama have?
- Geoffrey Onyeama is blessed with three children.
- What are Geoffrey Onyeama’s educational qualifications?
- Onyeama holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science and Law, Masters of Law, and Masters of Arts in Law.
- Has Geoffrey Onyeama held any positions in international organizations?
- Yes, he worked at the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) and eventually became the Deputy Director General for the Development Sector in 2009.
- When did Geoffrey Onyeama test positive for COVID-19?
- Geoffrey Onyeama tested positive for COVID-19 on July 19, 2020, but has since fully recovered.
Geoffrey Onyeama’s journey from an accomplished legal professional to Nigeria’s Minister of Foreign Affairs reflects his commitment to public service. His rich background in law, international relations, and diplomacy continues to shape Nigeria’s role on the global stage. Follow him on social media to stay updated on his contributions to the nation and beyond.